Search This Blog

2015-07-03

Symbols of Power and Oppression – Confederate Flag and the Swastika




Allow me to express my thoughts on the ban of the Confederate Flag – even though I feel slightly awkward being non-American.



I see this whole issue from the perspective of a person who has studied and is working with ancient symbols and who knows about the power symbols do have. As a German, working with Nordic Runes and having a completely different understanding of the Swastika (Hakenkreuz) I am not exactly “thrilled” that the bearing of a swastika is forbidden by the law and can get you in real serious legal trouble.


I am working with that Symbol in its true sense and powers. I own multiple Artifacts picturing it. I am as far from being a Nazi as probably many southerners are from being racist – NEVERTHELESS - and this is important – We cannot and should not be allowed to deny the fact, that the Swastika is a symbol of pure Horror to everyone who has suffered or knows anybody who has suffered from Nazi-Germany.

Same is true for the Confederate Flag. It is a Symbol of Oppression and Terror to a large number of people. Humanity, rationality and common sense should leave no doubt that we need to step back with our individual usage and meaning of a Symbol of Power and Oppression to benefit those that were and are actually hurt by it.

Do I absolutely refrain to obey to the ban of using the Swastika? Yes I do. Do I support the ban and the prosecution by law – of course, I do! I don’t walk around and offend people with the Swastika and I don’t “fight” for my personal right to use it. I have my artifacts; I use them in the original sense of the Symbol being a Symbol for good luck, good fate. In Germany many of the runes I use on a daily basis for readings are banned and the open display is forbidden and prosecuted. Do I support that ban? Of course, I do. It does not hinder me and my work and my connection to the symbol in any way if I have the decency not to offend those who have experienced a very brutal and different meaning of those symbols. It is called respect. And it does not prohibit you to have your meaning and your connection but it protects others from getting hurt or offended.

Symbols do not kill people - that is right - but Symbols do have power and if it is so important to me, to use it, than I should be the first one to understand the importance of its ban if it affects many others in a very negative way.

It is called respect!

No comments:

Post a Comment